Sunday 16 April, 2006

Boulevard of Fantasies : Part 2

And the wheels just keep on turning
The drummer begins to drum
I don’t know which way I’m going
I don’t know which way I’ve come






Now, St.Xavier College has an enthralling, almost renaissanic history attached to it. Named after St. Francis Xavier, a Jesuit saint of the 16th Century who travelled to India, St. Xavier's College is is not a mere building - all concrete and iron, stone and bricks and mortar. It is much more than a material and physical reality.St. Xavier's precincts reign with the serene spirit and dynamic industry of men and women, filled with the ardent desire to give India loyal, devoted and useful citizens.

She jaunted her way into the arched entrance of St. Xavier. Sarah Dias was one of those girls who cracked a rapport with the most uncanny people. Her list of favourites included - mirthful bus conductors, rickshawalla's interessant and colgate-sponsored watchmen. Or maybe it was the 'Sarah' effect. she made people smile. Random people.

'Wassa!' shouted Rehan from the Quad (basket-ball court for the ignorant multitude).Rehan was a nut. A wannabe Xavierite who was lost in an identity-crisis. He tried to runaway from himself. Like most of us. 'Hey Seru! Look i got mah eer pierced again... t'was fuckin' painful tha gunshat ya', yapped Rehan in his authentically fake accent. He couldn't, for Pete's sake, fathom the fact that he had an innate affinity towards Bollywood and item numbers. Being a Xavierite and hailing from snooty South Bombay, he'd have to do a Jonathan Livingston Seagull act to break free. Someday.

'What's it on like Ashaita?' - Heard Love Letter's on at NCPA. You wanna check it out. It's by Rahul da Cunha. I'm sure u're at it. Rehan! You'll come, English play but? , giggled Sarah

The lady had an outlandish sense of humour. A blend of crass, subtle, irritating and endearing. Sarcasm came to her as naturally as it comes to most breeds of the female specie. But she resisted vitriolic warfare.
'Sarcasm hurts bhai' - That was Sarah philosophy. I hope she meant it:)


'Arghhh... Philosophy Class', exclaimed Kevin.

Pan Centre
Focus - Kevin... Kevin D'souza

Kevin, the man, was a quintessential Xavierite. Long hair - unkempt, Hair band - coloured, low waist jeans - Levi's, Vests - body hugging plus a sluggish demeanour, guitar, Marlboro, guitar, Marlboro.. not to forget - generous servings of Jive, women, assumed intelligence, charm, wit, attitude.. aah attitude - loads of it!

I saw these four at the Quad... basking in the summer sun. Living Life. Living moments. Living the moment. Kevin charmed. Sarah warmed. Ashaita couldn't care less. Rehan charmed too - unknowingly.

St.Xavier's was indeed the melting point of Mumbai. Suburban hives met towny lives.

At the Woods - Ideas converged. Innocent Dreams received incessant support.Innocent support.Innocent.Support...

'These guys live in a fool's paradise', i told myself. They sneered at me. Not really. They would have.
Were they afraid to take on the world? Or were they building a fellowhip for themselves. I pondered towards futility.
Why do they compell me to choose friendship, love and simple living over materialistic pleasures? Time will tell.

Sarah looked at me. She smiled. (Smile - a facial expression characterized by an upward curving of the corners of the mouth and indicating pleasure, amusement, or derision). " There are somethings that money can't buy... for everything else, there's MasterCard", I told (yeah, that's what i actually told) myself. A Poor Joke to capture another priceless moment.

I see, Sarah is a popular girl. I mean kitne log know her yaar. Read : She was seen hugging people as if it were entrance fee to the canteen. Over the coffee at woods, she spoke, expressed, joked, laughed, lived.

But then, that was she - unbashed, chilled, jovial, spunky, eccentric, in love... perpetually... with life...
...Sarah!



Still my heart and hold my tongue
I feel my time
My time has come
Let me in
Unlock the door
I never felt this way before





P.S. - To be continued...

7 comments:

  1. ooh i love her sense of humour and i hate u for capturin the Xavier atmosphere!
    And why 'seru'? Sarah was just perfect.
    I thought this one was more towards ur original writin style (not too much..a teeny bit) except certain vocab.
    Why have u defined 'smile'?
    "There are some things money can't buy!" Indeed. That part was soo cute!
    Now Im really beginning to wish this Sarah was for real!
    Looking forward to more of Sarah... just keep the mystery atttached to her intact. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice...Really felt immersed in the scenario..."There are somethings can't buy...for everything else there's Mastercard"...would this apply to the zest obtained from reading this blog....Keep writing Anuj...and keep inspiring....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stop blogging, put a real pen to some paper, write up a storm, i wanna see it materialize, make my day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. everytime i read ur blog i m left speechless....this time is no exception....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like I'd said...you've very beautifully managed to capture your fantasy into words...keep writing...for our sake...though your words are already giving her a life of her own...I hope that someday...Sarah comes alive...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know im a little late in this comment but im curious with the one line mentioned which has my name in it..What did u mean by "What's it on like Ashaita?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mr. Blogger! How many Ashaita - s do you know?? and i too am curious as hell as to what "What's it on like Ashaita" mean.. I noticed there's a previous comment by another "Ashaita" - Could you please clarify.. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

"The person who writes for the intelligent and smart like you is always sure of a meagre audience" - Anuj Gosalia