Wednesday 26 April, 2006

Cannot write the CAT - 50% Eligibilty. I secured 48%. Fix Me





All of us have heard of e'm. Life changing events. Events that redefine the purpose of life. Situations or circumstances that make ordinary lives extra-ordinary. It could be the death of a parent, a near-death experience, physical/emotional abuse or a 48% in two years of degree college.

48% in degree college? Life changing? Why?

Ever since i was a kid, i was never exceptionally bright. I never felt the need to be. Mediocrity worked for me and at home. My primary school placed me in the 15th-20th rank out of class of 40 students. I was contented. Nor was i mature enough to push my own self to achieve higher scores. In my 5th grade i scored my lowest percentage - 62% if i can remember correctly. That is when my parents felt the need for me to attend tuitions and improve my scores to a certain level of respectabilty.
Gillu Miss was the lady. A mentor. A life-trainer. Attending her class at her Bajaj Road, railway track facing home was a hell lot of fun. Probably because i was the brightest of the lot. "Andher nagri mein kaana raja kinda thing". I loved the adulation and respect that i got from her. She expected a lot out of me. I delivered 9/10 times. It was the sheer ego-boost to get the highest in her tests that made me study. Of course, not to undermine the fact, that her tuition class was a whole lot of fun. Academic pursuit was infact a byproduct of the entire experience with Gillu Miss. And yes i scored an 83.3 % in my 6th grade, securing a 7th rank in a class that was considerably industrious and intelligent. I continued with her till the 8th grade and did well for all the 3 years.

Now, this is no memoir of my days with Gillu Miss. I am trying to derive lessons from the past, from memories of success. Why? Because i need it. More than ever before. I want your experiences too. What made you successful in your days and what makes you now.

Moving on, my tenure with Gillu Miss ended. I moved into 9th grade. A different class. New subjects and new friends. This is the time when i got close to Vishal and Sharan. 9th went by smoothly. I din't do exceptionally well though. But i never cared anyway. It was always a case of wanting. Aspiring. Not putting effort remotely close to the want. Not Achieveing. Becoming contented with mediocrity.

Then came 10th grade. The year. The only success. 10th was a funny year. I was disciplined. Yet not. I studied. Yet not. Of course, the year was hyped as the most important in a student's life. First Board Exam, Tough, Competitive, Decisive... so many adjectives for one god damn exam. Exams never perturbed me. I would chill and go for my exams. No frantic - shit shit shit last revision, last answer, i haven't completed so much... nothing. Jitna hua utna hua types. My 10th grade, like all other fellow cooperites, was packed with tuitions. But more importantly - friends. The year was mad. Insane. We partied, studied, chatted and enjoyed the small pleasures in life. We enjoyed the year and more importantly lived the year without giving two hoots for the marks. Did we not want to do well? No - we surely did. Infact we had our goals too. Anuj-90% (desire), Sharan-90+% (desire), Vishal- Didn't quantify but wanted to do well. That was that. And in the process of the year we chilled, had fun, flirted (yeah i remember having a crush on Manasvi in the latter part of the year). The most important lesson though was - Fun

I secured an 86% - I was contented because i never deserved a 90%

College - N.M. Whoa...

I was ranked 40th on that list of 1100 students who had applied. I was happy.
Then started the downfall. Friends were scattered. I was too attached to them to make new close friends who i could study with the way i studied with them. College changed my outlook towards academics completely. We started competing to come out of class faster than the other during an exam. Percentages, grades - they were irrelevant. It was F.Y.J.C mann. Who the fuck cares!

12th grade came in. Supposedly important. At this point of time, i found a new love - Extracurrics. I am a weird guy. When i am into something, i give it so much passion, time and attachment that i lose rationality. And to think of it - i am an aspiring management student. The concept of balance, time management and logic fails me when i am doing things that i love.

Example - I've a meeting in the next 40 minutes and i am still writing this.I know i will not make it on time but it's so tough to let go. And that, post - 12th standard, was my ultimate nemesis. The Law of Detachment has eluded me. It is easy to study for an exam - like not do anything else and score well. I am sure to succeed if i did that. But that was not challenging. 10th, in hindsight, rocked because that was all that i had to study for. The challenge was to do things beyond that average college student profile and succeed at it too. I never did. Playing with multiple variables, i lost out somewhere or the other. If i had to list down my extra-currics post 11th grade, it sure is an envious profile. Umang, Rotaract, Shiamak Davar, Summer Camps, Advertising Diplomas, Tuition-Giving - the works... Yeah i was on my way to become the next super-achiever, the stud of N.M. College. Alas it never happened. I failed. Everytime i tried multi-tasking. I crashed. A lot of reasons - i got my strategies wrong, i never detached (the switch on - switch off) effect, i never understood the importance of the body and health to support super-achieving.
Health, Stress, Attachment, Procrastination - It all started weighing on me.
Year after year, i tried new styles, made random promises - they all failed.

And to go see - it all starts from the beginning. As a kid, discipline was never instilled or was given priority. Call it 'bad parenting', my inability to realise its importance for so long, indifference. But it eventually boils down to three things if and ever you want to super-achieve.

And yes no super-achiever will be able to tell you this. Ask a failed super-achiever. Ask me?

1) The Law of Discipline : The human body is the laziest thing i've ever seen. And my body is worse than a sloth sleeping. To train the body i.e to be energetic (from the time you wake up till u go to bed) is the ultimate challenge. Energy and Focus are the key. Focus will only come if you have the energy. Train the body. Eat right. Sleep Early. Wake up Early. This is not my advice to any of you who've read so far but to me. It is the lessons i've learnt over the past four years. And i've crashed so many times. Infact, i am wondering what took so long to understand these reasons.

2) The Law of Detachment : Attachment is the worst enemy. It plagues and entraps your mind to such a large extent that you're trapped in the past or anxious over the future. Attachment is by far the easiest and the simplest to achieve. Example - I post a message on the blog. Ideal condition to super-achieve would be to detach. Forget about it totally and get to the next task at hand. But.. if i am anxious or thinking subconsciously about the comments expected. What will Peru write, what will Varun have to say to it.. I am in trouble. The idea is to come back to the blog with a transparent mind after a couple of days and read the comments. That way you can keep things really simple.

The irony is that super-achieving is very very simple. But it's the simplicity that is the toughest to achieve.

3) The Law of Love : Super-Achiever's are ideally supposed to be super-busy. No time to chill, to care, to speak nice words and love people. I mean after all, they're playing the guitar, running an NGO, studying, doing workshops, reading, writing - phew! ... How do you manage?

Example - A major chunk of my F.Y and S.Y.Bcom was spent with myself. Yes, i was this extrovert, seemingly charming extra-currics enthusiast but andar se i was lonely. Why? Because i expected attention. I wanted attention. I wanted love. I wanted love and attention because i thought i was cool. I thought i was really nice. But that was illusionary...I was consumed by an ego that refused to move beyond prejudices, wantings and personal interests. Super-Achieving can lead you to make some personal-interests driven decisions. Thin line this.

The truth is "Give as much as you can" cuz what you will get will be exponential and multi-fold. So for me - when i can flirt with a certain energy and charm, i know that things are right for me. My body releases endorphins that make me happy and yeah by giving attention to the other person i ensure her happiness to.

Tracing back to 10th grade - Love worked for me beyond anything else. I cared for people, friends, people i disliked, my parents. Love gives you energy and as irrational and emotion driven as it may seem - love gives you the ability to super-achieve.

All Super-Achievers that i've known are high energy, love-giving, failure-learning people

What made me write such a long post?

Emotion - The Low of your most cherished dream crashing. Of me crashing to the lowest trough. A moment in my life that will change me forever. I'm sure for the good. I dunno if i'll make it big in life. I dunno if i'll super-achieve ever. I dunno if i'll make it to the IIM's. I dunno anything.

All i know is that i've lived my life all over again on this blog so that you realise that every moment of your life makes a difference to your future. Every thankyou that you will say to your friend will make you happy more than him. Every good word that you will tell your parents will make them cherish their memories with you. If you've failed before, come meet me. We will raise a toast to Failure. Failure teaches so much more than success ever can. To all those successful people who've read until here - Try Failing. It will make you live every moment as if it were a lifetime. It will give you a perspective to life that you can only imagine.

And to all my Failed friends. Don't worry. We'll write success stories that mortal men can only dream of. We will live a life that will re-define history. I promise to do so. I assure to do so.

I'm living as if today were the last day of my life! Are you?

Heartfelt,
Failed,
But not for Life,
Anuj Gosalia

11 comments:

  1. The time has come when fallen spirits shall rise, when those unexpected shall be the ones who will make a difference. Life is'nt just a CAT...right? fuck the thoughts of failure for i m sure they do not matter. A day shall come when we shall hire IIM's.

    from a man who shares a similar fate as u as of now.

    Pride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...really can't find the rite words to comment...but then a comment isnt needed on this one...It felt really...umm sumthing ...can't describe tht feeling...but watever it was it was a diff feeling...when I read this post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like pratz says, its hard to comment on this post. Hard to decipher my own feelings, and it worries me that something I say might come across as being insensitive, or hurtful. Then, I read your post again, and I find the answer lies in the very words I am writing about.
    " Ideal condition to super-achieve woould be to detach."
    So I detach myself from the possible reactions from the comment and just say what's on my mind. Much of it sounds cliched and tired, but I still think, worth repeating.

    Failure is but a part of life. Every life. Even the most successful. That you failed, does not make you any more special, nor any less. What it does do, however, is give you an opportunity to show what makes you different, or same. How you react to this will tell the world quite a bit about what kind of person you are, and more importantly, will tell you about what kind of person you want to be.

    The little that I know of you however, I am pretty certain you will choose the 'right' path. Here is to glorious success after even more glorious failure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. luvd the post...reminds me of the times whn i used to go on speaking on certain topics i was passionate abt...of the time whn my best frnd tld me "i wish i wudve recorded all of dat dhara..!"
    all of us hav a lot knowledge, the kind of wisdom tht is gained only thru experience n buckets of thot, whch can b shared. i think v all shud blog abt it.
    this post teaches u a lot, but only if u r ready to learn it n can b done only by giving it all d attention...
    its a gr8 one, n it not only tells u how to succeed but also, more importantly, how to live. to live failure...after all failures r the stepping stones to success.

    done it again bro,
    but this time im not speechless but theres so much i want to say...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've written this so well... Can we publish it in JAM magazine? It would be of interest- and of help - to others who may be in the same situation. Let me know by emailing rashmi_b@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Anuj.... I dont wanna be blunt but i think the issue woth you is that you are a dreamer... an artisit may be... and sometimes just dreaming abt it and thinking tht u r passionate abt sumthin is just the start... BUILD ON UR DREAMS..... I knw u personally so i can say this for sure that i hve seen this happenin with u year after year .. be it Umang.. Rotract..Guitar classes or Acads... Just want u to ask urself a few questions..
    1. For me a super-achiever is not some one who does something exceptional or achieves excellence in his/her chosen field....A super achiever is someone who works and slogs to realize and fulfil HIS dreams and meets and exceeds HIS own expectations...

    Do u think u have over-achieved or under-achieved? I knw u hve under-achieved cuz u hve the potential for more so where the hell do u veer off when u hve started of with sumthin

    FINISH THINGS OFF BEFORE MOVING!!

    2. What has this failure taught u and what is ur ACTION PLAN ( and i dont mean dreams and philosophies) to over-come it...

    Just think abt it

    U hve done very well but then there is always more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super!! The last comment. and anuj you shud consider whteva is wrtten thr,,it is so so true..
    Follow it for the sake of the person who gave you that comment.
    At this point what I can think of saying is STOP!!
    All The Best

    ReplyDelete
  8. "To all those successful people who've read until here - Try Failing."??????.......!!!!!As ive always said failure leads to success... so any1 who is successful NOW has at one point or the other undergone FAILURE...
    If uve never experienced failure you will NEVER achieve success????hmm why do i say that???read on....people who never fail never succeed because they never move in life never make changes,never try new things,their life moves forward in the same pattern there is no room for growth ...they r happy with whatever they achieve they never try to grow or take chances and these AINT NO super achievement or success stories...because....

    they are satified with their so called "success" and therefore do not crave for growth,take no risks which=NO FAILURE...

    Super achievement and success is what you wanna attain right???....it comes to those who fail time and again ...and learn from failure. It keeps them pushing forward.You have a goal..dont you?.... that'l keep you going you are passionate about your purpose and that is how you will succeed and it is FAILURE that will show you the golden path to super-achievement!!!!



    "I am trying to derive lessons from the past, from memories of success.".................you said it yourself "from memories of success" ..how did you succeed in the 8th grade???it was indeed failure maybe not literal failure but to an extent u failed to achieve above average marks in your 5th grade and this is what led you to an 83.3% to be precise in your 7th std...say for instance you had got an 80% in your 5th itself you would have be contended with that and you would have thought uve succeeded but in the true sense your academic results wouldnt grow they would be at the same level why???because according to you uve succeeded and super -achieved in your academic years!!!... makes sense ...the moral is uve falied ...not once im sure but over and over again in life....and that is why im know you WILL write success stories in life !!!AMEN.. :-) LETS HOPE YOU KEEP YOUR PROMISE....

    ReplyDelete
  9. we're all in the same boat man... im a dreamer n hv failed to achieve my goals sumtimes too... by the time i realise dat the air up there is great its too late..
    but im sure ill make it.. in time..
    n ill probably c u dere...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think there is any term like 'super-acheiver'. All that you do is what you achieve. there are no benchmarks. the ones that you make are the ones in comparison with others. the basic premise of this thinking is what i do not approve of. yes, appeciate but do not benchmark.

    Success and failure are relative and not TIME BOUND.

    And for your sake, i really hope you visit this blog at least once a month!

    This blog post may turn out to be just another of your random promises.....

    Always a well-wisher,

    Ankit Doshi

    ReplyDelete

"The person who writes for the intelligent and smart like you is always sure of a meagre audience" - Anuj Gosalia